Pickering Valley Elementary is
excited to continue the implementation of the Safety Patrol Program,
which is sponsored by AAA. Several former presidents, Supreme Court
Justices and astronauts have served in the Safety Patrol
Program since it began in 1920. The primary purpose of the program is
to enhance the safety of our students. In addition, this promotes the
development of leadership skills and good citizenship qualities. A
safety patrol’s job is to model for students the
safety rules that have been taught in the classroom, and to assist
students in safe transitions throughout the building. Patrols receive
instructions in safety guidelines and procedures during their training
and patrol meetings. Pickering Valley has both a
Fall and Spring Safety session to encourage as many 5th graders to
participate as possible.
Duties of all patrols are listed below.
· Compliment students observed following safety rules
· Remind students of safety rules when appropriate
· Report for duty on time with proper equipment
· Know and follow all building regulations as a role model to others
· Report to Patrol sponsor, administrators, and staff members assigned
· Attend and participate in all patrol meetings
Safety patrols are selected from the
fifth grade. Patrols are selected with input from teachers,
administrators. Consideration is based on student interest, commitment,
responsibility, self-discipline, and a written letter
as to why they should be considered a Safety Patroller.
A big thank you to our current safety patrols for helping keep our PV students safe!